Tuesday 29 November 2011

Shrunken cardigan part 2: warm winter mittens

After my small, woollen cushion project, the remainder of my cardigan, still too small to consider wearing even as a tiny shrug, consisted of just the shoulders and sleeves:


Having seen a wrist-warmer project using the cuffs of an old jumper elsewhere a few years ago, I decided to attempt to make a pair of mittens, similarly using just the sleeves of the cardigan:
 
All I did was:

Cut off as much of the sleeves as needed to make the mittens, using the cuff as the part that will go around the wrist/arm/elbow (you can obviously make the mittens as long or as short as you like):



I then turned the sleeves inside out and measured a basic hand/mitten shape on the sleeve from the cuffs upwards, and marked it with either a few pins, or some fabric chalk, before cutting out the mittens and pinning the finger ends together:


I checked that the mittens and finger sections fitted on my hands before using a sturdy blanket or back stitch (see here for different types of stitching) to sew the finger part of each mitten together:



And finally, a pair of mittens ready to keep out the winter cold!



Feel free to add embellishments in the form of buttons, ribbons and bows to jazz up your pair!

No comments:

Post a Comment